Public Relations is a dynamic field and requires one to be perseverant along with an ability to tackle the worst case scenarios sensibly. An effective PR professional has great potential of transforming the perception of an individual/organization in the society in a positive way. Undoubtedly, PR has an extraordinary quality of building a brand in the community. Just like Direct Marketing and Advertising, PR too requires good communication skills and convincing powers. However, the task of pitching gets more difficult in the latter case as influencing a journalist to publish or telecast unpaid articles or news packages is quite an uphill task.
Every job comes with its own challenges and specific targets to be accomplished within a specific time. However, PR is unlike the monotonous ‘9 to 5’ or stressful ‘Sales Target’ job and is just like doing marketing ‘off-field’. It opens up avenues to interact with people with different interests and from diverse regions. It allows building and establishing relations with journalists and editors of major publications, news channels and web portals. Not only it helps in networking, but it also enables the PR professionals to understand the mindset of the people they are dealing with.
When asked about why they chose PR industry, following were the responses given by current PR executives and students who are presently pursuing their education in Public Relations:
• This field does not have stagnation. PR professionals are continuously thinking of ways to promote their clients.
• I had an inclination towards the creative aspect of every field. PR gave me the liberty to be more creative.
• I was fascinated by the way a PR agency creates and portrays the image of its client in front of the world.
• The strategizing part involved in promoting the client interests me.
• PR covers everything related to branding and promotions which really fascinates me.
• I like Client Servicing and PR brings a greater understanding of people and their concepts.
• People appreciated my ability to interact and build relations. This made me realize that I can be a perfect match for PR.
The industry is open for all those who have the skills to strategize, maintain a communication flow with the clients and the media professionals, exhibit patience while dealing with them and manage the things smartly with tolerance. So if you believe that you have the requisite ‘X’ factor in you and pat your back often for your ability to build relations, then PR is a suitable platform for you to channelize your inner potential in a productive manner. All you need is to buckle up and get yourself prepared for the PR roller coaster ride!